What is KiwiSaver?
KiwiSaver is a voluntary savings scheme set up by the government to help New Zealanders save for their retirement. For most people, this will make up a large portion of their retirement fund, yet the vast majority are not getting any advice on how to make the most of their KiwiSaver.
Get KiwiSaver Advice
Here are some simple questions to answer to discover if you’re getting all you could be out of your KiwiSaver.
Do you know…
- Which provider are you with?
- What type of fund are you in?
- Why you chose that fund?
- What percentage contribution you are making?
- What your prescribed investor rate is?
If your answer to any of these is “No”, you need to talk to a Haven Adviser today*. Not doing so could see you miss out on tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars.Request a free meeting
Our advice is free. Not seeking advice could cost a fortune.
Key Benefits of KiwiSaver
There are a number of benefits to Kiwisaver, making signing up an easy decision for most people.
- If you are employed, your employer has to contribute at least 3% of your gross wage or salary into your KiwiSaver account. That’s on top of your own contributions.
- Your KiwiSaver contributions come out of your pay before you see it. This makes saving easy.
- The government pays into your KiwiSaver account as well – an annual Member Tax Credit (if you are a contributing member aged 18 or over) of up to $521.
- As well as saving for retirement, you can also use your KiwiSaver funds towards buying your first home through a KiwiSaver Home Start grant, and Home Purchase withdrawal.
- If you change jobs or leave the workforce your KiwiSaver account moves with you.
Australian Super Transfer
If you have an Aussie Super account and are permanently moving back to NZ, you can transfer your money into KiwiSaver.
However, there are things to consider before you do this and we recommend talking to a Haven KiwiSaver Adviser.Request a free meeting
A few key points to consider:
- Once you have transferred your superannuation savings to New Zealand you cannot change your mind unless you decide to permanently move back to Australia.
- You can only transfer Australian funds into a KiwiSaver scheme which is in your name.
- You cannot access any Australian funds transferred to New Zealand until you turn 60, and you satisfy the Australian definition of retirement.
- Transferred Australian funds cannot be used to help with the purchase of a first home.
- Transferred Australian funds cannot be transferred to a third country.
*Haven provides class advice only.